Voting is an essential component of democracy. The time of the King's Houses is over, and now the people are asking for a Cabinet to be elected by the people and responsible for their actions. The election must be fair and peaceful. Otherwise, people will be deprived of democracy and free speech.
Unfortunately, the term "election engineering" has become an infamous term in a number of countries. The outcome of a number of universal elections worldwide is suspect, and it may be a mistake. The Electoral Commission is trying to find a solution that might solve the issue.
To fight with this problem some countries choose biometric voting system. Biometrics are popular all over the world because they can identify each individual individually. Therefore, nobody can vote more than once for a candidate and change the voting result.
What is the Biometric Voting System About?
Biometrics is a technique to deal with people's biological characteristics, for example, fingerprint, palm vein, iris and facial recognition. It is a kind of measurement, analysis and recognition technique for human identification.
Biometrics can enhance the safety of the system and guarantee the accuracy of the data. It uses state-of-the-art science, which is one of the fastest growing technologies in the world. This technology is widely used in many countries in many areas like border control, banking, institutions, commerce and so on.
So, the biometric voting system is the uses of biometrics in a voting system.
Biometric voting system
How Biometric Voting System Works?
There are several stages to the biometric voter registration system. At first, the authority will keep the numbers of an individual's national identity card like national ID, driving license or passport.
Then they will gather biometrics like fingerprints or iris. If fingerprints, then the person will press their fingers on a fingerprint scanner. If it's an iris technique, they'll take the iris data with a camera and make a specific template for it.
Data from the Biometric Voter Registration System will be transmitted to a central database, which will be used for the identification of voters based on their biological data.
biometric voting system process
Why Biometric Voting System?
With the advent of technology, people are more likely to be in touch with electronic devices. Security concerns are also rising in the population, and they want the best security system.
Traditionally, a polling agent makes a count of the votes and tells them the outcome of the election. There is, however, a great possibility that such a system can alter the figures, and political parties can do so after they have voted.
It is not possible to modify the data manually with modern biometric voting system. It also offers immediate results and saves time and money.
In particular, in the developing world, there is a widespread culture in which political parties accuse one another of manipulating the results of the election. For them, such a solution seems to be a necessity.
The Merits of Biometric Voting System
The main benefits of the Biometric Voting System include:
1. Eliminate Invalid Votes: Removes the possibility of invalid votes through verification of each person's information.
2. Save Time: The use of biometrics in voting can save time, as a polling agent does not have to count the votes by hand, which lowers the time required for polling. Some biometric voting system companies offer instant result with highly accurate data.
3. Save Money: BVR, or biometrics, is a long-term way to save your money. Once a voter's biometric database is created, it can be used each time as long as the new voter's information is added.
4. Security: Biometric voting systems are more secure than conventional ones. Some voter registration systems allow audit trail that ensure the security of a vote.
5. Credibility: Nowadays, people around the world pay close attention to nearly every general election in all parts of the world. Therefore, the use of biometrics will make the voting system more credible for the rest of the world.
6. User friendly: Most Biometric Voter Registration System is user-friendly and understandable. Developers consider everyone at all levels when they build a system.
The biometric voting system is still in its early stage. In the near future, more and more countries will adopt this technology.